Case Study HealthStar Physicians
HealthStar Physicians, founded in 1995, is a successful multi-specialty group, located in Morristown, Tennessee. HealthStar Physicians had approximately 188,500 patient encounters in 2006, and projects patient encounters in excess of 200,000 in 2007. HealthStar Physicians, P.C. is comprised of 40 physicians and 17 mid-level providers representing 18 specialties. We interviewed Casey Stewart, an experienced healthcare manager at HealthStar Physicians.
There are nine practice locations in three contiguous counties. The majority of the group practices in a class A 75,000 square foot Medical Office Building, which encompasses the following ancillary services:
- Urgent Care Clinic The Urgent Care Clinic provides the community with after-hours care. It is staffed 7 days per week with HealthStar physicians and/or mid-level providers.
- Bone Density- Hologic
- EKG and Stress Lab
- GE Voluson 730 4D Ultrasound System
- Mammography – GE Digital
- Moderate Complexity Laboratory – Beckman CX-9, Beckman Access
- MRI Siemens Magnetom Symphony 1.5T
- Extremity MRI
- Nuclear Camera Siemens E-Cam (Dual head)
- Physical Therapy
- Sleep Clinic 6 suites MedCare Rembrandt Embla N-7000
- X-ray suites
HealthStar Physicians needed remote cardiology services for Echocardiograms. We learned about CareRemote through our teleradiology services provider who highly recommended that we work with CareRemote for Echocardiogram interpretations.
We had challenges that included the logistics of setting up a service like this. CareRemote’s service seamless. Transferring files from our facility securely to their PACS was the major challenge and once we had this setup the service just worked behind the scenes. They also were available to answer questions and provide guidance on getting us up and running. The services eliminated the need to hire a cardiologist and manage a service line.
1. Who is the customer and what is their business?
2. What problem did you have that needed to be solved?
3. What made you choose us?
4. What were any unique challenges?
5. How did we help you reach goals and solve the problem?
We have a service that is of high-quality, reports our completed in a timely manner with no issues. By adding a telecardiology service line we were able to expand our offerings to patients. Patient experience is improved due to improved care-coordination. I highly recommend this service.
CareRemote has been working on the problems around workflow and long wait times to see a cardiologist. Our new service sends out a provider to a facility on scheduled days twice a month. Patients are then followed using their platform where video visits can be conducted. A point of contact NP or PA at the facility will assist the cardiologist with patient loads. Cardiologist can refer patients to centers that require more complex care.